Welcome To Easy Marketing Videos. Today I want to talk about how to make a video for an interview. We will be talking about best practices to create a professional video and we will also talk some about how to prepare for an interview and how to prepare yourself and the interviewee for the project. We have a lot of ground to cover. Are you ready to get started? Great! Let’s get going.
Steps To Make A Video For An Interview
Step 1 – Determine Who The Person Is You Will Be Interviewing And Facts About That Person The first thing you want to consider when preparing for a video interview is: Who is the person you will be interviewing. Take some time and do research on the person you will be interviewing. Learn all about this person before the actual interview. What is this person like? What are they known for? What are their strengths? What are their talents? What are some of their great achievements? Who else have they interviewed with? What was discussed at their last interview?
By taking the time to learn all about the person you will interviewing you will be able to connect better with this person and ask better questions.
Step 2 – Create a Script / Questions For The Interview Now that you have taken the time to do some research on the person you will be interviewing it’s time to formulate a script for the interview.
A script for an interview is vital. If you want to know about someone you have to ask the right questions. What are the right questions you may be asking?? That all depends on what you want to talk about. Think about it like this.. When you ask a question you will get an answer related to that question. So ask questions that will lead your interviewee in the direction you want to talk about.
Say you want to talk about the interviewee’s family growing up. You could ask a question like tell me what it was like growing up? You could ask questions like: In what ways did your father influence you the most? In what ways did your mother influence you the most? Can you see how these questions target a specific area of the interviewees life?
If you want a good interview you will need to take the time to do your research and create a script of questions. Memorize your questions. You do not have to script everything you will be talking about. You do need to know the questions. Think about the person you will be interviewing and make a list of good open ended questions to ask. Remember a question can lead the conversation to where ever you like.
Step 3 – Prepare For The Interview Now that you have your research and script done it’s time to start thinking about where you want to perform the interview. I think since you are producing the interview you should get first pick on where the interview takes place. You can also talk with the person you will be interviewing and make sure the place you pick to interview is ok with them.
It’s important that the person you are interviewing is comfortable and relaxed. If you create a good atmosphere for the person you are interviewing you will have a much better interview. Think of yourself as a host with a camera. Since you will be recording the interview you need to properly set up the interview space.
Here Are Some Other Things To Think About
- Seating Arrangements – You need to capture both parties on camera so set up a space were you will be comfortable and can easily capture both parties on camera. If you have more than one video camera by all means set up multiple cameras to capture the interview from different angles. It is not required to have more than one camera.
- The Environment – Make sure the environment you are doing your interview in is quiet so we can hear you. Make sure the environment has plenty of light so we can see you. Make sure the environment is clean and neat so it is pleasant to look at on camera. Shoot some test video to make sure you have good audio and video before your guest arrives.
- Wear Something Nice – It’s important to look good. Anytime you are doing a video project ALWAYS wear something nice. You can still be yourself and wear what ever style you like but clean up, comb your hair, take a bath, put on clean clothes, put on a smile (most important). It’s important to always look and be your best. This doesn’t mean you are fake. It means you are a professional and care about the project at hand. Trust me on this one! Just Do It!!
- Prep Your Interviewee For The Interview – Often times it is a good idea to talk with your interviewee just before the interview to help them get comfortable. You can tell them what you will be talking about if you like. Address any of their concerns prior to the interview and just reassure them and help them get comfortable. Keep a glass of water or bottle of water on hand for each of you. You can sit the interviewee down in the area you have prepped for the interview and talk there. Just let them know when you start the video cameras.
- Let the interviewee know when the interview is over.
How To Edit Your Video After The Interview
Now that the interview is complete and you have it all on video it’s time to create a master video. Here are some simple steps to help you put together a great video. If you do not have video creation software you can learn more about it here.
Step 1 – Gather up any photographs, video clips, and brochures that pertain to the interview. These can be added in to your master video.
Step 2 – Upload your video from the interview to your computer you will be editing the video on.
Step 3 – Upload your photographs, video clips, and brochures to the computer you will be editing the video on.
Step 4 – Open up your video creation software and start putting together your master video .
Step 5 – Save your master video to your computer where you know where it is at.
These are just the basic steps to creating a video interview. If you follow these basic steps you will be able to put together a good interview.
If you need help with your video projects this is what my website is all about. I will post some links just below where you can learn more about video creation software to make your projects much easier.
I will also post information on how to start your own online business or blog for those of you interested. I find that people who like to shoot their own videos also make good online business owners and often become very successful because they have drive and are not lazy. Check out any of the information that you think will be helpful to you.
I hope you found this article helpful. Please take some time to look around on my website. There is a lot of great information here to help you with your video projects and if you are interested in building your own online business I can help you get started with that as well.
Please let me know if you have any questions or comments. Just post them below and I am always happy to help you out.