Sounds like someone’s got a birthday coming up and you are wanting to create an awesome video of the event. I think that is a great idea and today I’m going to show you how to make a video for a birthday. We are going to keep things simple, yet the steps I show you will enable you to make a great looking video you can keep for the years to come. Let’s get started.
Shooting Video At A Birthday Party
Here are some things to keep in mind when shooting video at a birthday party.
- Often times birthday parties can be crowded and congested areas. If you want to be successful at capturing the true spirit of the event you need to be invisible. I know that won’t happen, but this is how you should approach a birthday event. Try not to be that annoying person who is walking around with a camcorder jamming it in everyone’s face. People will not act natural and it makes everyone uncomfortable. Instead use a small camera and just shoot the video events you want to capture without making a big deal out of the process.
- If the birthday is for a small child, try to capture the video with out them knowing you are there. Perhaps standing at the edge of a busy room and zooming in your camera to capture different events during the birthday party. You can get some really great video footage of a child eating birthday cake for the first time. A small child or even an adult opening gifts makes for great video footage also. The key here is to be as invisible as possible. People act different when they know they are being videoed.
- If you want to get personal dialogue with your guest on camera, you may want to wait until the end of the party and you can capture them as they are leaving the party and ask them a quick easy question and ask them if they want to leave any comments for the special day. This can make for some really special memories of the birthday. You can also flip this and ask the comments when the guest arrive but, my experience shows the best results come at the end of the party when everyone is warmed up.
- Keep in mind that the person shooting the video is Not the event. The person shooting the video is Not the important person. If you will be the person shooting the video try to be that fly on the wall silently walking about collecting short video clips of the guest interacting and the birthday girl or boy enjoying their day.
- If you are the parent of the birthday girl or boy you may want to get someone to shoot the video clips for you. Your child may want you by their side. If you are going to have someone shoot the video clips for you have them read this article and also show them how to use your video camera.
- Sometimes audio quality and lighting may not be perfect so you have to use what you got. If you will be setting up the room for the birthday party make sure there is plenty of lighting. For audio you can plan on having a lot of background noise. People talking and laughing are great sounds for a birthday party. I will show you some cool audio tricks when we edit down the video.
- If you are the person shooting the video try to interact with the crowd of people when you are not shooting video. This will put people at ease so you get more natural video clips of the birthday party.
- Please do not turn the birthday party a video shooting event and by the way were going to also celebrate your birthday. Your job is to capture the birthday party with out people really realizing what is going on. This will make for the best video clips and everyone still has a great time.
Follow these tips and you should come away with some great video clips you can use to make an awesome birthday video.
So you may be thinking what do I do with all the little video clips I have of the birthday party? That is a great question and I’m glad you asked. What we are going to do is upload all the birthday video footage to your computer and we are going to edit all the video clips together to make a super cool birthday video.
To do this you are going to need some video creation software on your computer to tie all the video footage together and add in any text, animation, voice over, or any other thing you feel is appropriate. If you do not have video creation software on your computer you can check out some of the free software packages I recommend here. If you want video creation software that is more advanced and easier to use, you can check out Explaindio or VideoMaker FX. Both of these software packages make it super easy to make your own videos and you will get 2d, 3d, Whiteboard Sketch, and Full Motion Video. The software is easy to use even if you do not have experience.
How To Edit Your Video
Step One – Upload your video clips to your computer. Also gather up any photograps, new paper clippings, Post Cards, etc.. and scan them into your computer as well. You will be able to add your photos and things in to your video and add animated text on top of your photos and video clips.
Step Two – Open your video creation software and start adding your video clips in the order that you want them to your time line. The cool thing about making your own video is you can change the sequence of events to your liking. After you get your video clips laid down on your time line you can now add in your photos, news paper clippings, etc.
It is impossible for me to tell you exactly how to best do this because it will depend on what software you are using. All video editors have what is called a time line so we will talk in terms of basic video editing so everyone can follow along.
Step Three – Now that your video is laid down in the order that you like take a second to watch your video again and make sure this is how you like it. Once the video is laid down to your satisfaction it’s time to adjust the audio. You can turn the audio off in the track so you do not hear it, or you can add in what is called a voice over to narrate the event as the video plays. You can also add some background music to the video if you like.
A voice over is a great way to narrate the event and point out the highlights of the day and you can also get in your one liners and jokes. Have fun with creating your video.
Step Four – Once you have your video just the way you like it you need to save your video into a master file. You should be able to save your video in an HD format. High defination Video. Your video editor should let you do this. If not it’s ok. The most important thing here is to save your video into a master file so you can come back and upload it or edit it any time you want to.
Step Five – You can upload your video to YouTube and have it hosted there for free if you want to be able to share your video with friends and family. YouTube will host your video for free and you can send your video to anyone from the video url YouTube will give you. If you want to learn how to save your video to YouTube click here. I will also provide some useful links at the end of this article that you may find helpful.
Take some time to play around with putting your video together. If this is your first time to make a video it may take you some time to get going and figure everything out. Stick with it and you will be thrilled with your first video. The more videos you make the easier it gets.
Good video creation software can really make the process of making videos so much more simple. I will put some links for some great video software below. You can also check out some of the freebies on my free video creation software page.
Click on the link buttons below to learn more about any of the topics listed.
I hope this article was helpful to you. Making videos gets easier the more you do it. Remember to have some fun with your projects. If you want to learn more about making great videos my website is full of great information to help you along. I also have a lot of great information about setting up your own successful online business. Take some time to look around, I’m sure you will find what you are looking for.
If you have questions or comments please leave them below and I will get back to you. I’m always happy to help.